I spent my whole day Saturday making lunches for Kate and all she wanted was a pouch.

08 January 2019


I officially give up. Okay-- not really. We all know I'm going to keep trying but I'm feeling pretty dang defeated. Why? Because my kid is being impossible with food. I KNOW, it's a phase they say. She'll like something one day and hate it the next. It's true and it's stressing me out. Last week she loved green grapes, yesterday... floor. 


So I spent my spare time last week browsing pinterst and looking for the best lunch/dinner food ideas for Kate. She loves bread. She loves anything that looks like bread. So I find a "pizza" recipe on a whole wheat English muffin. This has got to work!! Take an English muffin, half it, spread on marinara (let me add that I made this HOMEMADE) and then sprinkle with your choice of cheese. Pop in the oven to melt and I even cut it up to make it easy for my little babe. 

What was the message I got from school this day, humm... something like, "None. Couldn't get her to eat." But you know what? I'm sure she sucked down that pouch they gave her after in .3 seconds flat. 

So I've tried the following:
English Muffin Pizza - NO
Califlower, Peas & Carrots Waffle - tiny bite and NO
Ground Turkey and Avocado Quesadilla - YES!!!! 
Sweet Potato Waffle - Mostly YES!
Broccoli & Zucchini Frittata - HELL NO
Baby Chicken Pot Pies - Yes then NO WAY
Second UPGRADED version of Sweet Potato Waffle- YES YES YES! 

Here's a picture of my product... the 4 that actually made it to the freezer. Some are better prepared daily :)
My goal is to have plenty of things in the freezer so I can pop one out each evening for lunch the next day. I need to cut out all the cooking and prep time in the mornings! And yes, I'm aware that I'm one "t" short in my frittata. We can't alllll be perfect. 

This is all stuff outside if the regular things like putting lunch meat in a box with lots of fruits and veggies, etc, etc... these are the things I've actually cooked. I linked the Baby Pot Pie Recipe above-- and hopefully I will blog some of the other recipes as I photograph them. A couple I have taken from pinterest and made my own. Others I followed very strictly! :) 

I've also read that this is just a stage for most babies this age. Here's hoping that accurate. And if you have some ideas-- holler at ya girl. 

But in the meantime, I'll share my one successful recipe. I've made this twice. The first one wasn't bad but looked way different than the whole grain waffle Kate was use to since it used a lot more sweet potato. I tried this one since the coloring was closer to what she likes. I froze the first recipe and will introduce them after she's rocking these :). Enjoy!

SWEET POTATO WAFFLES FOR BABY AND TODDLER
1 1/2 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
1 cup quick oats*
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup plain whole fat yogurt
3 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
4 ounces sweet potato puree** - I used sweet potato, corn and pea puree
2 tablespoon brown sugar

Instructions
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until combined. 

2. Whisk in the eggs, milk, yogurt, oil, puree and brown sugar until all ingredients are combined. Let stand for 10 minutes while you pre-heat your waffle maker. 

3. If your batter is too thick, add in an additional 1-2 tablespoons of milk.

4. Pour in roughly 2 tablespoons batter onto lightly greased waffle maker for baby size waffle or 1/4 cup batter for toddler size waffle. Shut lid and cook based on your waffle makers directions. 

5. Lift waffle out with fork, slightly cool and serve. 

Yield - 12 toddler size or 24 baby size waffles
Storage - 5 days in fridge or 3 months in freezer

*quick oats are ideal in this recipe so the grain isn't too big for baby to chew. If you want to use old-fashion oats, give them a quick blitz in food processor so they are half the original size. 
** You can really use any puree you have on hand - apple, carrot, pumpkin, squash, peach, etc. Or sub homemade or store bought applesauce. I couldn't find solid sweet potato so I grabbed the sweet potato, corn and pea puree. 

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan