Alex's Famous Cornbread

09 January 2019

And by "Alex's" I mean it's a recipe I found online and changed nothing. By "famous" I mean that my husband tells everyone how good it is. And lastly, it's so exceptional that I've never even tasted it. But I promise it's excellent. 

I'm not a cornbread eater. Never have been. Don't like the taste, don't like the texture.. just don't like it. But my husband likes cornbread and requests it every once in a while. Usually when we have company over for a meal to help him eat it. 


The first time I made this was a couple years ago. He was making gumbo for a handful of friends and wanted cornbread to go with it. I played it cool, found a recipe on pinterst, made it and never told him that I cared nothing for the idea of cornbread. 

I'm not trying to brag here, but the 4 of them-- destroyed the cornbread. Kept saying how good it was. One- no names here- even said it was better than his mamas. Which Brian told me later was SOME KIND of compliment. ;) 

So I figure it's my duty to my army of followers to share this sacred recipe with you. Here you go--- :) 

Ingredients
2 cups self rising cornmeal mix not just plain cornmeal
2 eggs or 1 extra large egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil for the skillet if using cast iron
1 3/4 cups buttermilk or regular milk Start with 1 cup of liquid if you are using regular milk and add the rest as necessary

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

If you are using cast iron, place the 1/4 cup oil in the bottom of a 9" skillet and place over high heat on your stovetop while you make the batter.

Pour the cornmeal into a bowl and add the oil, egg, and buttermilk.

Mix until combined and drop a small amount into your skillet.

If it sizzles immediately, go ahead and pour in your batter to within 1 inch of the top. If you want a thinner cornbread, just don't pour in as much.

Transfer the skillet from the stove top to the hot oven.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden and set.

Enjoy! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan