Carb lovers UNITE!

04 March 2019


Hello! I have so many good, new recipes to share over the next week or so. And I'm super excited about the one today. I love bread. I'm one of those, "never-met-a-card-I-didn't-love" people. So when we eat Italian, bread is always on the menu. And since we've enacted "Italian Sunday," lots of bread is on the menu! 

I saw this recipe while browsing pinterest last week. I clicked on it and immediately knew that I had to try it. And I had all the ingredients. So I thought.... turns out that my yeast disappeared so I had to make a special trip to the grocery store. But I found the sugar cubes that I've been looking for FOR WEEKS so it was a win, in the end. 


So I got home, with my yeast, and got to work! Well I didn't really calculate the time right. The recipe calls for the dough to sit 12-18 hours. Mine ended up sitting for about 24 which made me really nervous! I did a lot of googling to make sure this was OK. 


Dough at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday. And I didn't use plastic wrap. I used a plastic lid that came with the bowl. 

Dough pre-church on Sunday a.m. Crazy! I don't know what I expected. But I was so glad to see that it did SOMETHING. I must be on the right track :) 

I was getting so antsy to cook this. I tried cooking early afternoon since it had been 18 hours but Brian slowed me down and assured me that warm bread, fresh out of the oven would be best. You're always right, Brian! 

I waited until about 5 p.m. on Sunday. I think the trick here is letting the dutch oven sit in a hot oven prior to cooking. I pre-heated, loaded the dutch oven and prepared my dough in the meantime. The 30 minutes felt like forever!! Once it was finally time to cook, I was beyond ready. I don't know why I was so anxious about this bread being a failure. 

Turns out the bread was delish. It was so good. I probably could have let it brown for just a little bit longer for color but the taste was all there! 

During this whole process, I kept thinking back to our FOOD + WINE TOUR IN PARIS. I remember her telling us that French bread was so good because they use salt and (shockingly) a lot of breads don't use salt. This recipes calls for salt-- and even more fun-- this recipe calls for the all the thing good french bread calls for-- salt, water, flour and yeast. I felt my odds had to be good. 

So without further ado... the recipe for the most amazing, easy bread! 

No Knead Bread

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/2 cups room temperature water

INSTRUCTIONS
DOUGH PREP: In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and yeast together until mixed. Stir in the water until a chunky, thick dough forms. If it needs a little more water, add a few more tablespoons, just enough to get it barely wet throughout. It’s gonna look scrappy and weird and you’re going to question me on whether or not this will work, but it will. Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest for 12-18 hours at room temperature. Overnight is ideal here.

PREP FOR BAKING: When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 450. Stick a 6 quart enamel coated cast iron Lodge Dutch Oven (or similar) in the oven for about 30 minutes to heat. At this point, the dough should be big and puffy and pretty loose, with little bubbles in it. Gently scrape the dough out onto a well-floured surface. (Remember: NO KNEAD.) Gently shape it into a ball with flour on the outside, set on a piece of parchment, and cover with plastic while your pan heats up.

BAKE: Remove the plastic from the dough. Lift the dough and parchment together into the pan so the parchment lines the bottom of the hot pan (be careful not to touch the pan since it’s very hot). Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake another 10-15 minutes to get the exterior nice and golden brown and crispy. Voila! Done. 
XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan