Gnocchi With Pomodoro Sauce

11 February 2019

I really hate to make you jealous by posting this picture first-- okay, actually I do want to make you jealous. That's WHY I'm posting this awesomeness that we had for dinner over the weekend. I've made this once before but loosely followed the recipe. This time, I followed every (almost) single bit and the outcome was so amazing. 


Sometimes I wonder if my husband is just putting on a really good show by telling me something is good over and over and over and over again but the other night, I'm thinking it was 100% genuine. Especially since I caught him stealing the leftovers for his lunch on Monday. 

But ya'll.. this was good. I love Italian. I've always loved Italian.. it's in my blood! Seriously, like a lot. But Brian isn't the biggest fan so we don't eat a whole lot of Italian food in our house. 

In this dish, you start off by cooking lots of fresh herbs in olive oil, which smelled so good. You discard those and add garlic and onion.. which smelled and looked so, so pretty! 


Like I said before, I made this before and he said it was good but last night, home run, out of the ballpark and I'm sure we'll be coming back for more super soon! The first time, I don't remember doing the final step, putting the dish in the oven to broil. I don't even remember using mozzarella which has to be wrong! I thought Brian didn't like it.. I was wrong! This picture is everything mixed together and ready to add to the oven for the final broil. 


So fine, here it is.. the recipe to gnocchi heaven in a bowl. And one final picture of the out-of-the-oven goodness that was our dinner. SO yum. 

Gnocchi With Pomodoro Sauce

Ingredients
1/4 cup DeLallo extra virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoons
4 stems fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
4 stems fresh oregano
2 stems fresh rosemary
2 stems fresh basil plus 2 more stems for garnish
1/2 yellow onion diced
3 cloves garlic pressed or minced
1 28 ounce can DeLallo San Marzano tomatoes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/4 cup heavy cream - I subbed whole milk
1 16- ounce package DeLallo potato gnocchi
8 ounces cherry size mozzarella balls cut in half- I used less
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
Add 1/4 cup olive oil to a 10-inch high sided sauté pan or a saucepan over medium heat. Add the parsley, oregano, rosemary and 2 stems of basil and cook for about 5 minutes or until the herbs become crisp. Remove the herbs and discard then add the onion and garlic to the oil, lowering the heat if needed so the onions cook gently and don't brown. Cook until the onions are transparent, about 5-7 minutes, then crush the tomatoes with your hand and add to the pan with juice. Season with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and red pepper flakes and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thicken, stirring occasionally. Stir in the heavy cream and remove from the heat.

Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a boil and add the gnocchi. Season generously with kosher salt and cook until the gnocchi float to the top of the boiling water. Drain and then place the gnocchi into the cooked sauce. Top with the halved mozzarella balls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese then drizzle the tops of the gnocchi with the remaining olive oil. Broil for 5-8 minutes or until the cheese melts and the tops become crispy. Garnish with additional basil leaves and serve immediately.


XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan