LENT

11 February 2013


I've been trying to decide what to give up for Lent for a couple weeks now. I always put a lot of thought in to what to give up.. I usually ask my sister.. who always tells me that I should take on something. I never can come up with something (with the exception of 2011) so I end up giving something up (the easy way) BUT I usually give up things that are pretty tough to give up. This year I really want to do something different, take on a daily devotional or take on something, I just don't know what!? I found THIS today.. and I like the general idea, I would like to switch it up though. 
My mom has also told me about the Fast, Pray, Give calendar on Busted Halo. And here's why... 
Traditionally, Lent was a time for personal conversion leading up to Easter, during which Christians practiced the spiritual disciplines of fasting, praying and almsgiving to strip away all that is unnecessary and become more mindful of their ultimate dependence on God. Let’s recapture the true meaning of Lent in ways that are actually relevant to your life. Each day throughout Lent, starting on Ash Wednesday, the calendar’s link for that day will become active, revealing a Daily Jolt for spiritual contemplation relating to Lent, and new and practical ideas for fasting, prayer and almsgiving.
 In the past I've done the following:
2006: no ice cream, at the time I was addicated to Shakey's 

2007: no chocolate
2008: no sweets
2009: no facebook
2010: no facebook, again... and no chocolate
2011: no facebook and I wrote 1 letter via snail mail each day to someone that either I haven't talked to in a while or just a letter to say thanks for being wonderful :)
2012: no shopping
So there, I think I've made my decision while writing this post. Share with me what you do, please. I'd like to hear others thoughts/opinions. Do you give up anything for Lent? Can you "cheat" on Sundays? Do you struggle to make it 40 days? I'd like to hear any thoughts! Thanks, xo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan