In The Greatest City.. NYC Part 1

10 October 2022

I know.. you are probably thinking we just took a solo trip to New York. We did but then the world shut down and we did nothing for a really long time. We longed for the wonderful food, drink and entertainment that NYC had to offer and lucky us--on the week after the mask mandate was finally lifted, we were smack dab in the middle of New York! Any guesses our very first stop?


We left early on a Wednesday morning. These sweeties saw us off-- with a few tears. We got down the road and around the corner to learn our flight had been delayed by two hours. Back home and thankfully, rerouted on both flights! 



By this point, we've definitely learned our lesson about flying into LaGuardia. The traffic getting in to the city is terrible. And since we were delayed, it was rush hour(s). We quickly dropped our bags, changed clothes and walked to Central Park. This time we stayed on the Upper West Side-- close to the park. The leaves hadn't changed yet but it was still pretty. We spent some time relaxing in the park, walking through it and taking the sites in. And now I'm singing.... "see them walking through the park, long after dark, taking in the sights of the city." Name that tune. 




Every time we walk through here, I remind Brian that this is where Chuck and Blair got married. He doesn't even pretend to care anymore :) 


More history and fun facts. Every time we walk through here, Brian reminds me that this is where John Lennon lived and he was shot after he left his home for a walk in the park. I later retold that story and changed it to John Legend and got a confused look. 



Left the park for cocktails! We tried this one place first-- that we made a super special trip for--but it was full. So we stumbled on this place and loved it. Best drinks!! It's the Pineapple Club in the East Village. I didn't even realize you could eat there too-- their website looks super awesome. I got the Justin Thyme and loved it! The fresh thyme was perfect. 


If you are a regular around here, you know we love indulging in Below Deck on Bravo. For years now we've made fun of all the espresso martinis and how we don't really think they are for us. Try waking up at 5, traveling all day and then trying to stay up for a 9:30 reservation at a Michelin star. We had to try the famed espresso martini. It was a-freaking-mazing. I had no idea. I get it. Now someone tell me where I can buy those cute little glasses. 

This place was a 10. A super pleasant surprise that set the trip off so very nice. 


On to that 9:30 reservation I just mentioned. We could book at 5pm or 9:30pm. We're so glad we took the late one now that we were delayed. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed. I've been wanting this fresh regional pasta tasting with wine pairings for months. Since we decided we were going here. The very first thing we covered-- we're not going to get a bottle because we want the pairings with the pasta courses. Our waiter quickly tells us that they are sold out. I almost cried. Luckily for everyone involved, I picked myself up and moved on. But it's honestly still a little raw. 


We started with this and it's in my top 3-5 favorite bites of the trip. That fresh tomato burst, I don't even really like tomatoes. I can't find what it's called, looks like it's been removed from the menu (seasonal). I probably should back up. We had dinner at REZDORA which is Italian and I was so super excited to go here! Still crushed as previously mentioned which probably overshadowed my time here. Plus the meal started at 9:30 and ended near midnight. As new people were stilllll coming in. It's so wild. 


Moving on to the mains. We ordered blistered peppers--which we have been roasting at home and now love them even more. I actually blistered some in the cast iron last weekend and they were so fantastic. The top pasta is one of both of our favorites-- it's called Grandma Walking Through the Forest. I'm so glad I took a picture of this part of the menu because this isn't on it anymore. What a loss! It was fantastic. The menu says i's cappelletti verdi with roasted leeks, baby leeks and black mushroom puree. It was earthy and yummy and I'd take a bowl right now. The bottom one I also loved-- it was a more traditional red sauce with basil and breadcrumbs. 


The bottom pasta was so rich. An egg yolk and truffles! I loved it though. You could put all the pasta in the world in front of me. This one was also seasonal but was a ravioli. The top one we did not love. It was a ragu that we thought would have more of a punch since it included rabbit. It was still beautiful and the wine was divine. Also hunting for these dishes so hit me up if you've seen some similar. 


We walked home with tired eyes and full bellies. I had Brian stop to pose before we got to our hotel-- OTEL EMI. But for any of you super tried and true fans, you know what this means. XOXO. 


Back at it bright and early! We went back and forth trying to decide if we go back to certain places that we've loved in the past. I'm always afraid it's not going to be as good and shatter my memories. I also have FOMO and want to try everything. Russ and Daughters doesn't count, I don't think. Smoked salmon and bagels and latkes is a staple for us! I just love this place. It's been the same for IDK how long but it's so stinkin perfect. And it was a homerun and perfect start to the day. 



It was a rainy morning, thankfully the only rainy morning, so we spent some time indoors at the Met. I don't care if you stop outside and purchase your tickets while looking at the building do it. You do not want to stand in that line, you want mobile, quick access. Thank me later. 


We've been before but there is so much to see! It was way more relaxed this time, not nearly as many people there. Which was nice. We left in the early afternoon, grabbed a street hot dog and went back to our hotel for a quick nap. It is vacation after all :) 


We found this cute place nearish our hotel, The Owl's Tail. I love those floor tiles now that I'm looking at the picture. We had a couple pre-dinner drinks and nuts before heading to the main event. 



We had dinner at Sushi W. I will never be the same ever again! This was amazing. I don't know how we found it. We were really between this place and a Michelin star one called Sushi Nakazawa. Sushi W is Omakase style that they are calling affordable. Which it really is. All seats are at the counter and it's an hour long. The other place had a few different seats, we knew we wanted counter if we were doing it. The counter there was $180 a person. Sushi W started at $48! We upgraded to the $60 something offering and it was better than I could have ever imagined. It was so fresh and perfect. And watching this little man make these right here.. and sometimes in your hand was wild. That warm rice and the punch of the wasabi was unreal. I loved every single bite, there wasn't a single one I wouldn't gladly eat again. My favs had to be the scallop and sablefish. I didn't love the hand rolls, they were hard to eat! 

 Gotta list out what all we had-- for my own memory if nothing else. Chutoro (medium fatty tuna), Kalbi (short rib), Akami Zuke (marinated tuna), Kampachi (amberjack), Ika (squid), Sable Fish, Ikura (salmon roe), Torotaku (fatty tuna), Salmon, Hotate (scallop), Red Sea Bream, Shima Asi (striped jack), Uregi (Eel), Handroll and two fish of the day which I don't remember. 

It was so perfect and seriously an art. If you follow me on instagram, check out my NYC highlight for a video of this experience


Brian giving the handroll a try. This was a one bite one that seriously could have been like 5 bites! And you can also see the sake in the picture. I always thought it was warm and gross but this sake we had with our meal was fantastic. I would order it again and again! 



This one was my fav-- the scallop. Simple and delish.

We left sushi and grabbed a cup of coffee-- got to stay up for our show! We went in Charlotte Cafe for a cup of joe and I really don't want to be dramatic here but this was the best latte that I've ever had in my life and I will dream about until my dying day. My very last day. It was fantastic and I just wanted another the entire time. Then we got home, they sent Brian a couple and he had the audacity to forward it to me and make me remember how much I loved this cup of coffee and here I am again longing for it again. Life sucks. jk. kinda.

Coffee down, we headed to see Death of Salesman-- during it's first full week on Broadway. Starring one of my favs Bunk from the Wire. It was great! A little sad but fantastic. Then perfect ending to a really wonderful day---or almost two days in NYC! I'll be back with the rest soon :) 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan