How to cook for a new mom....

02 August 2012

Hello! I think you all should know by now that my best friend Whitney had her first child about two weeks ago. I can't imagine being a new mom! Between taking care of your newborn, healing, no sleep and everything else that comes along with motherhood... when do you have time to shower or cook.. much less, eat! 

So I did some work to figure out easy meals that could freeze, would be super delicious but would also be super easy for Whit to heat up. So I came up with 5 dishes, 4 entrees and a dessert :) I might not be the best person at this (was my first time) but it was pretty easy AND the good news is... I only spent 3 hours in the kitchen and less than 75 bucks! You can do it!! 

-Chicken Spaghetti
-Taco Soup
-Poppy Seed Chicken
-Crockpot Pot Roast 
-Oreo Layer Dessert

First I got all my recipes together and made one large shopping list! You want to make sure you have all the fixins to go along with what you cook. (some things I already had in my pantry but I included them on this master list)

2-5 pound pot roast
5-6 large chicken breasts
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey 
1 can stewed tomatoes 
1 can mexican flavor stewed tomatoes
3 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can hot or regular chili beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can whole kernel corn
1 small can black olives 
1 small can mushrooms
1 can cheese whiz
8 oz dry spaghetti
1 package taco seasoning mix
2 packages dried ranch dressing mix
1 italian dressing dried mix
1 brown gravy package
poppy seeds
powered sugar
sour cream
milk
olive oil
butter
1 large box instant chocolate pudding
8 oz cream cheese
2 8oz cool whip
1 package oreos
ritz crackers
instant rice
1 bag fritos or chips (for soup)
1 green bell pepper
celery
carrots
6-8 red potatoes 
3 onions
*you'll probably want to pick up 3 disposable casserole dishes, 9x13. A large rubbermaid for the soup and freezer bags if you don't already have them. 

OKAY, now that you have all the goods, it's time to cook!! 

I started by browning my beef and cooking my chicken. For the chicken I cut up an onion added it to some water in a large stock pot and threw the chicken in. 

While my meats were cooking I started cutting up all my veggies. Potatoes and Carrots for the pot roast. Diced my two remaining onions, the bell pepper, and celery. 

*Taco soup- once I finished cutting my onions, I added one to the ground beef and browned, then drain. Then add the taco seasoning mix and ranch dressing mix into the meat. Stir. Then add the following- without draining- both cans of stewed tomatoes, corn, all beans, stir. Simmer for about an hour. 

Whitney ate this meal the day I made it so I left it in my stock pot, took it to her and she could just heat it up and eat with fritos, top with cheese, sour cream, anything you please. You could also transfer the soup into a large rubbermaid bowl and deliver. 

Once my chicken finished cooking I took all 6 breasts out of my stock and cut them all into small cubes. Half you can throw in a 9x13 casserole dish and wait, the other half.. just hold on to. In the meantime, you can go ahead and boil your 8oz of spaghetti. 

*Poppy seed chicken- With your cubed chicken already in your casserole dish... stir together the 2 cans of cream of chicken soup and 1 cup sour cream. I like to add a few extra things just for more flavor (if I have them) 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp mined garlic, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/4 tsp pepper.  Then pour this mixture over the chicken, I like to mix it up a little. 

In a separate bowl, stir together 2 cups crushed ritz crackers, 1T poppy seeds, and 1/2 cup melted butter. Sprinkle over the chicken mix. 

Cover, use sharpie to write cooking directions. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until brown and bubbly. You can serve over rice or plain. 

*Chicken Spaghetti- In a very large pan or another stock pot go ahead and saute the rest of your onion, bell pepper and celery mix in olive oil or butter. Add chicken after veggies are limp, black olives, and mushrooms to the mix. Cook. Add cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom and about half a jar of cheese whiz (to your liking- I usually use a little under half)

By now your spaghetti noodles should be ready, drain and then add the pasta to the mix and stir. Once the whole mix is ready, add to a 9x13 dish and put a lid on it! Use your sharpie for directions- bake 30 mins at 350 until bubbly. 

So now all you have left is the pot roast and oreo dessert. No real cooking left. You are almost there!! 

*Crockpot Pot Roast- Grab a freezer zip lock bag and add the following-- your cut up potatoes and carrots, top with the roast and then pour over that the rest of the dried packets, ranch mix, italian and brown gravy mix. Seal the bag. Sharpie time-- Dump in Crockpot, add 1-1 1/2 cups water and cook on low for 6-10 hours until veggies are tender. Could it be any easier? 

*Oreo Layer Dessert- First off, you want to crush the whole package of oreos, you can use a food processor or just crush them in a ziplock bag. Put back 1/2 cup to sprinkle on top when finished. Pour the rest of the oreos in the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Melt 1/2 cup of butter and pour over the oreo crumbs, stir and press crumbs to bottom to make a crust. 

Make chocolate pudding according to the package and let it set in the fridge. In a mixing bowl blend cream cheese (8oz softened) until smooth and then mix 1 cup powdered sugar. Then, fold in one of the 8oz packages of cool whip. Top oreo crust with cream cheese mix, then a layer of pudding, then your last 8oz tub of cool whip.  Sprinkle the rest of your crushed oreos on the top, cover and refrigerate! 

And that's it! It's so easy and your friend will really appreciate it! BONUS, you get to deliver it and spend quality time with the baby :) Which I have done two weekends in a row now... guess I'll share some pics now! 

Whitney sent this to me last week and I just feel in love!! How can you not think this is the sweetest thing EVER?!

Baby Hayden fell asleep in my arms Friday night. 

Good morning world!! I'm wide awake! 

Saturday morning we did some lazy time. Check out Hayden holding auntie Alex's hand. I'm so in love!! 

And I have to try to add this video! It is precious... that smile!! I don't know what the quality is going to be like but we'll try. 
Have a great rest of the day and if you are feeling down, just come back and look at this pics. LOVE!!! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan