Weekend Warriors!

08 October 2012

WOW! I just checked my stats on my blog and I had 149 views in ONE day!! That makes me so happy, hope everyone loves the blog and doesn't think reading it is a waste of time ;)

This weekend I got SO much accomplished. When I moved in my apartment they said I could paint it, really do whatever I wanted to make it feel more like home. All the walls are white, bright white, awful, bright, ugly white. Why would they do this to me? Can't I at least get a beige or light tan.. something?! I've been planning for some time to paint my front door (plum- pinterest idea, of course) and then I thought it might be fun to do a statement wall. (most likely chevron) I finally did it! I am in LOVE with my door!


I painted the door on Saturday and surprisingly it wasn't hard. I hate painting, I'm sloppy when it comes to this kind of painting. It's so annoying when the paint doesn't cover or drips, etc. After my first coat I decided this was an awful idea.. the paint job looked horrible and the color was too light. I had to remind myself to be patient and it paid off... after 3 coats the color is perfect and the paint job is near perfect!

I listened to the Arkansas game (WE WON!!!) in the background while painting. Did anyone notice how many Home Depot commercials there were?! It made me think of the "weekend warriors" commercials that used to run and all I could think was that I am a legit weekend warrior this weekend!

Moving on, when I finished the door I decided I might as well do the chevron wall... I had to leave my door open for a few hours for the paint to dry, my floor was already covered in a drop cloth, why not? So I taped off my pattern... I used envelopes, taped together to make a chevron pattern... like so...


I kept them in pieces because I found it easier to trace off small parts at a time. I also painted such a small area (with a bar cut out) that it was easy to not have the envelopes as one long line. I started with just 1.5 inch painters tape but realized the white to paint ratio was too small... so I added another inch of tape to make the white 2.5 inches wide.


I need to add that I started in the middle, traced the envelope and then taped above and below the "envelope tracing." Once I taped it off then I would trace the envelope again, below the tape. One step at a time to keep it equally spaced and the painted line thick enough. 

Then it was time to paint! It didn't take long, I used a roller, and I only used about 1/4 of a can of sample paint from Sherwin Williams.  I used 3 coats but could have easily got away with 2. I just kept thinking the color would be more of what I wanted with more coats... it really just looked the same. Seeing that tape on the wall really made me want to change my color and go with navy but I stuck with the yellow...

This isn't the best picture (I have very poor lighting in my apartment) but the paint job turned out near perfect! I couldn't believe when I took the tape off that it looked so fabulous, I just knew paint would leak through somewhere. The color isn't 100% what I wanted but it's fun and I won't live here forever. It definitely ties the rooms together, which is what I wanted. Small wall, yet a fun big statement!

Hope you LOVE it! I'm pretty pleased with how everything turned out. Just a few more projects to complete and I'll be ready to invite my friends over. I also have this new itch to paint everything the room. AND with sample paint cans only 5 bucks at SW I'm sure to find something else to do soon. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan