Burnt Broccoli

22 March 2018

 
Don't knock it til you try it! Burnt broccoli doesn't sound good. Nothing burnt really sounds good. But this recipe is.. wait for it, so good! 



My husband AKA broccoli hater marries me, AKA broccoli lover, AKA only vegetable I would eat until the age of 25. How many times have I tried to work broccoli into a side at dinner? More than you know. Somehow, someway he agreed to try this recipe. And guess what? He now ASKS for me to make it. It's a winner ya'll... even to broccoli haters. And it goes with just about everything! 

Burnt Broccoli

Ingredients:
1 bunch broccoli spears 
6 garlic cloves (sometimes we skip this)
3 T extra virgin olive oil 
1/2 t kosher salt
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Instructions: 
Adjust oven racks to the bottom and upper third and preheat oven to 450. I preheat to 450 on the roast setting. 

Trim about 1 inch off the ends of the broccoli and discard. Slice each broccoli spear lengthwise into 8 pieces total. If they are thick, quarter into 4 pieces. 

Place broccoli, cut side up, and the garlic cloves on a large rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season both sides with salt and pepper flakes. Sometimes we skip the garlic and use garlic powder. We also use more than a pinch of red pepper flakes. 

Roast on bottom rack until browned on bottom, about 10 minutes. Flip the broccoli and garlic and roast until tender and browned, 10 more minutes. 

Turn on the broiler. Put pan on higher rack and broil until the broccoli just begins to char and crisp, about 2 minutes. Keep a close eye to make sure you don't over-burn. Serve immediately. 

I generally do my own thing on the last two steps. I mentioned I just set the oven to "450 Roast." I usually just keep the pan on the middle rack for 7 minutes, flip the broccoli and cook for 7 more minutes. Sometimes if I remember I switch to broil. Most of the time I forget and it's still super good. 


You'll figure out how you like it best-- maybe a mix between mine and Gina's... who knows! You definitely should try it out. You will not be disappointed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan