Skinnytaste Beef + Broccoli

22 June 2017

If you follow my blog at all, you know I'm a huge fan of Skinnytaste. I've bought both of the cookbooks (HERE and HERE) and I'm a regular on her blog. Well plus I follow her on snap, facebook and instagram..... 

Brian was highly skeptical at first, with the name Skinny Taste, he feared everything would be bland and far too healthy to be tasty. He comments all the time how much flavor each dish has! Which just goes to show how much seasoning can make a dish.

I know I've made mention a time or two how I've finally (AFTER 6 YEARS) converted Brian to a lover of Asian food. This is one of my first transitional pieces I snunk in one night. Another WIN-- I've also mentioned that he likes broccoli now, that's another 6 YEARS IN THE MAKING win for me! Well and him... don't you know broccoli is loaded with all the good ish for your bod?! 

Anyway, this recipe is excellent. We love it! Can't say enough of all the good things about it. It's easy and quick and I promise you will like it. I'll share the recipe below, so try it! 

Mongolian Beef and Broccoli

2 tsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
2 tsp. rice wine
4 tsp. sesame oil, divided
 1 lb. sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, thinly sliced against the grain
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
4 c. broccoli florets
4 medium green onions, cut into 1-in. pieces; white and greens separated
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
2 tbsp. packed dark brown sugar
1 tbsp. oyster sauce (see Note)
Hot jasmine rice

Directions
In a shallow glass container, whisk together the cornstarch, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, rice wine and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Season steak with salt, add to marinade and turn to coat. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. But I don't always wait 30 mins and it's still excellent. 

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add broccoli and cook until bright green and crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking.

Heat a large nonstick wok or skillet over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil, then half of the beef. Cook for 30 seconds without disturbing, flip and cook another 30 seconds, moving meat around until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate and repeat with 1 teaspoon sesame oil and remaining beef. Set aside beef.

Heat remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil in wok and add the whites of the onions, the garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli, brown sugar, remaining 3 tablespoons soy sauce and the oyster sauce. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add beef and cook, stirring, 30 more seconds. Remove from heat and stir in the green part of the onions. Serve with rice. And sometimes we use brown rice instead of jasmine. 

Enjoy!! XOXO 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan